Monday, July 6, 2009

Blustery Day in the Barrio...

Dear Chicago,

Content and exhausted after another fabulous weekend. On Friday night I felt under the weather and I stayed in to enjoy the company of my house mom and her daughter and son in law once again. Saturday morning I was up bright and early to check out a potential apartment for me and M to stay in. He'll be here next week, I can hardly believe it. After many price comparisons and inspections (I drive a hard bargain) I found a place around the corner. Literally - my senora recommended a place around the corner from her apartment! Its a beautiful hotel, brand new and caters to 'long term stays' a week or longer. I got the price down by saying I lived in the neighborhood, and now we're all set!

Saturday afternoon: Salvador Dali exhibit at a mall. It was a highly recommended collection but I have to say I was very disappointed. Whoever arranged the lighting hung spots so that I had to shield my eyes to see the artwork... I've never had that happen at a museum. I also feel like a museum snob - what a tough life I lead! I had tried to arrange for a big group to celebrate the Fourth of July at an American bar downtown... I ended up at a Brazilian bar. Very random but a fun night with friends.

Sunday was the best day of the weekend. Another early morning to hop on a bus with classmates to see a gaucho ranch. We drove 75 miles north of the Province to see a gaucho horse-maneuvering show (best way to describe it), have a big Sunday asado lunch of grilled meat (I didn't eat the blood sausage... I couldn't) and see a working farm. Carrie and I had a great time - I'm always surprised by how nice it is to get out of the city even though I love the city, too.
video of the gauchos:








Today was a rainy, cold Monday. It was the first thunderstorm I've seen during my time in Argentina. (It made me miss Corky a lot). Unfortunately, the rain meant that volunteering was cancelled. The government permitted our organization to continue working with the kids, provided we use outdoor spaces like parks and plazas... a rainstorm meant that was cancelled. The swine flu is communicated to be a real and present danger here - more people in masks than I would have expected. So far, I feel great!

Looking forward to a potential weekend in the northern provinces as we have a day off for Argentine Independence Day, July 9th.

I cannot believe MC is visiting a week from tomorrow, and my family a week after! I live a charmed life.

besos - Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment