Thursday, June 25, 2009

Feliz Cumpleanos a vos



Dear Chicago -

I made a big decision to switch the type of class I'm taking in July. While I loved my time at the University of Buenos Aires, I haven't been practicing aloud as much as I had hoped. My conversation partner has helped, but I'm now switching to the private Spanish school my program offers. I'll have class 4 hours a day instead of 3 and it will be in the morning, allowing more time to explore the city with the visitors I'll receieve for the last 2 weeks of July. Its a bit risky, but I think it will be better for my language skills in the long run!



All of this to say that I spent Wednesday morning coordinating such a change. From there it was class, and from there, volunteering with LIFE! I finally arranged to go out for a birthday party. We bring cakes, presents and games for all of the kids with birthdays that month and have a giant birthday party for the villa. We had a bit of a time crunch as the kids came late, but I've never made so many balloon animals in my life! It was great. Hard to forget that we were in a cement shack without heat or windows, illuminated by an old fashioned light bulb that pulsated light without really casting any. Difficult to look past the line of 4 year olds with empty pitchers, in line at the comedor for powdered milk the women were mixing with dirty water. As much as I felt like I should have been helping in another way, the room was somehow still filled with lots of laughter, squeals and smiles. The kids faces were glowing as we served pieces of cake.

It feels good to be helping - I feel like this city has already given me so much!

Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment